Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Snowy 6 Miles

It's pretty pathetic when 28 degrees feels "nice".  I was finally able to get outside and run since the "feels like" temperature was nearly 50 degrees warmer than the previous week.  

When we got to the Metro Park the snow had been falling for about a half hour.  The running path was covered in snow but I wasn't too worried, I had run in fresh snow before.  I hadn't run in falling snow, though. That was...different.  

I prefer to run an out and back route and Saturday I had 6 miles on the schedule.  For the first 3 miles I ran into the wind and into the falling snow.  I also learned pretty quickly that it wasn't just snow on the path.  Underneath there were some very slick spots.  I managed to keep a decent pace, even though it felt like I was moving like molasses.  

Miles 4 through 6 were the worst.  I began to have the worst stomach pains.  More than just a typical side stitch.  This was a sharp pain that almost took me to my knees a few times.  I powered through and finished the 6 miles with a decent pace, considering it was slick outside and I took a few walk breaks in those last 2 miles.

I picked up my new running shoes on Saturday so I'll be taking to the treadmill at least once this week to test them out.  Next week I get to do all of my training runs outside in the sunshine and warm weather because I'll be vacationing in Grand Cayman!

One more week of sub-freezing temperatures...  

No comments:

Post a Comment