Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Running First

Tonight, after work,  I headed to the Metro Park again for my run with a goal of 4 miles. On my way to the park I received an offer for some company if I wanted it.  My initial reaction was no way!  I am a mess when I run.  I'm slow, I breathe heavy, I stop and walk when I feel like it and I certainly don't look pretty when I'm done.  He does Crossfit regularly and is a seasoned runner.  I shocked myself when I said "sure".  I warned him that I was slow and it wasn't a pretty sight to watch me run. 

He caught up with me around my halfway point (2.5 miles) and ran with me the rest of the way. It was weird to run with someone else, especially someone that is way faster and far more physically fit than I am.  I definitely pushed myself a little harder than I think I would have if I had been alone.  

In the end, I finished 5 miles with a 13:12 pace.  I was initially disappointed with that pace, especially since I felt like I was working really hard.  My heart rate was at the higher end of my "high" the entire run.  I log my miles with Map My Run and I scrolled back to a month ago and my pace was 13:54.  I'm definitely improving, it's just a really slow improvement.  

He offered to run with me again, which I'm actually going to welcome.  I think training with someone who's better than I am will push me.  I just hope he doesn't get sick of dropping down to my snail's pace.   



One day, maybe I'll just run slower than a herd of turtles...without the peanut butter ;)

I'm taking rest days until Saturday morning, when I hope to get my pace under 13 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment